Re: how to fight back against Michael Bramer's spam

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 09:02:38PM +0200, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:
> Le jeu, oct 04, 2001, à 12:52:46 -0500, Steve Langasek a écrit:
>
> > > Perhaps the daemon in charge of that list could add a few metaheaders such
> > > as:
> >
> > > for procmail consumption ?
> >
> > If so many maintainers find it prohibitive to have to set up procmail filters
> > in order to get rid of the current DDTS messages, I do not think you will find
> > many maintainers willing to go through an elaborate process to be able to
> > receive the ones that are relevant to them.
>
> Those who don't want to deal with ddts will not subscribe to
> debian-dts-changes (or whatever the name). Those who're interested with
> translations enough to subscribe to that list *will* have to set up some
> kind of filtering rules anyway (whether in procmail, brain or whatever else)
>
> Technically, this requires less coding effort (all off-the-shelf components
> except the spam^Wsender daemon which is already written), at the expense of
> some wasted bandwith (for people who will subscribe to the list but filter
> out most of its contents). Will that potentially saved bandwith be enough to
> justify coding a whole subscription system (with lots of options), or is it
> just noise compared to the bandwith used by the mirroring system ?

the ddts will have this feature in future:
 you can send a [NO]NOTIFICATION mail to the server and you will [not]
 get the notification mails from the server. This will all base not on
 the package name (old system) but base on the email address from the
 sid packages file.

 And you can make things like 'NONOTIFICATION -de -fr' to get only
 german and french translations (and not all the others) from the
 server.

 IMHO this is the solution.

and a extra note:
 I start this feature only after a discussion on debian-devel and
 after a annoucement on debian-devel-announce.

Gruss
Grisu
"Schreibe ein Programm, dass jeder Volltrottel bedienen kann, und du hast
 ein Programm, dass nur ein Volltrottel benutzen will!" -- Shaw's Principle