Re: switching from 2.2 to 2.4 kernels

rich <rich@octopus.rudedog.org> writes:

> Running a debian testing box on a lan behind an ipchains masquerader attached
> to a cable modem,  I tried to upgrade to 2.4.9-686. When running 2.4.9-686
> (version 2.4.9-1), I could not access my server's POP3 or SMTP server: I got
> connection refused when doing "telnet pop3.blueyonder.co.uk pop3". Rebooting
> into 2.2.19--10 fixed it. Both kernel versions are fresh installs, untweaked
> by me (I reinstalled everything following disk failure)
>
> 1. Does anyone have any ideas what differences between 2.2.19 and 2.4.9 might
> cause this?
> 2. Is it a bug in the 2.4.9 versions that they break the 2.2.19 functionality
> without telling us?

2.4.x uses a completely different firewall than 2.2.x (iptables instead
of ipchains). Has the kernel config for the 2.4 been compiled with the
legacy ipchains support, or the new iptables support?

--
Dave Carrigan (dave@rudedog.org)            | Yow! ..  the MYSTERIANS are in
UNIX-Apache-Perl-Linux-Firewalls-LDAP-C-DNS | here with my CORDUROY SOAP