Re: Package descriptions and making them better

On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 01:33:05PM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>   One thing I'd like to get responses to, which is also buried down at
> the bottom of this mail, is the idea of the creation of a
> "debian-proofreading" list which new package descriptions could be
> (manually or automatically?) submitted to for comments.  This might be
> especially helpful to people who don't speak English natively.

I'd like to work on this. I've sent in bug reports on some, but it's so
much work to handle each grammatical error that way.

>   In general, the guidelines of good (technical) writing should apply.
> Be clear, be concise, be unambigous, be informative, and be correct.
> I believe that improving our package descriptions has the potential to
> greatly improve the ability of users to find what they're looking for.
> (if nothing else, it'll help people who are trying to build saner
>  categorizations of packages and can't take the time to install
>  every single one)

For example, avoid indenting lines after the first line in the
paragraph, and don't indent that line if you provide a blank line
between lines. (Sorry, but this annoyed me throughout your whole
email.)

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I saw a daemon stare into my face, and an angel touch my breast; each