GPG still slow (was Re: gpg and trustdb very slow)

On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 11:41:48PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Sep 2001, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 08:37:33AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh (hmh@debian.org) wrote:
> > > On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Christian Kurz wrote:
<snip>
> > > As well as reading the docs, where it is said that one must reinsert
> > > all keys in the trustdb to take advantage of a new caching
> > > algorithm...
> >
> > Could you point us to the relevant docs and/or the command for
> > re-reading keys?
>
> Nope, I have no idea where the hell I read that. I'd try the changelogs of
> upstream and the Debian package, however: that rings a bell on my mind.
>
> As for the useful information, that I can help you with. All you have to do
> is to let gnupg readd all your keys to a keyring (as in 'new insertions to a
> keyring are made in the new cache scheme'). Simple enough to do with any RW
> keyrings you might have:
>
> 1. move every keyring out of the way, including the RO ones.
> 2. feed a keyring to gnupg. You might want to use --fast-import followed by
> an --update-trustdb for that.
> 3. replace the old keyring you fed gnupg with with the new one
> 4. repeat as needed.

I'm still having problems with this slow trust db lookups.  I did the
following, with no effect:

$ mv .gnupg/pubring.gpg ./oldring.gpg
$ rm .gnupg/trustdb.gpg
$ gpg --import oldring.gpg

This ran for quite a long time, reimporting everything.  But at the end of
this there was no noticable difference.

Regards,
Chris