Re: A language by any other name

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 07:21:59PM +0300, Anton Zinoviev wrote:
>     FIRST. Gdm makes LANG to have value english.  But this (currently)
> is non-existing locale.  The solution is to make `english' an alias of
> some existing locale.

No. The solution is to make GDM refer to a real locale instead of
the ambigious, non-existant english.

> So my proposal is to make `english' an alias of
> `C'.

Which loses the ability to use non-ASCII characters, including the
pound sign, the Euro, and letters used in common misspellings of
role, facade and naive.

>     SECOND. Gdm doesn't allow people to choose their locale by the menu.
> In my opinion that is absolutely inconvenient as gdm is going to became
> the standard display manager for Debian 3.0.

gdm is going to be the standard display manager for Debian 3.0?!?
In what sense, and why do we need a "standard" display manager?

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
When the aliens come, when the deathrays hum, when the bombers bomb,