strange(?) /etc/syslog.conf

Hi all,

I changed sendmail to exim in my sid system a few days ago
and found that syslogd complained like

    there is no such file /var/log/mail/mail.log

(and also with mail.{err,info,warn})

And, in fact, there is no /var/log/mail/ directory.

Further I found that /etc/syslog.conf contains

mail.*				/var/log/mail/mail.log

mail.info			-/var/log/mail/mail.info
mail.warn			-/var/log/mail/mail.warn
mail.err			/var/log/mail/mail.err

I guessed first this was trivially inconsistent.

But I have one more sid system with sendmail installed
and found there is /var/log/mail/mail.log etc.

And (or furthermore) I have sid system in PowerPC with exim
from the beginning and I found that /etc/syslog.conf contains

mail.*				/var/log/mail.log

mail.info			-/var/log/mail.info
mail.warn			-/var/log/mail.warn
mail.err			/var/log/mail.err

completely different from that of other sid systems.
(and thoes /var/log/mail.* really exist!)

In every sid system, sysklogd package is of

ii  sysklogd       1.4.1-2        System logging daemons

I am now totally confused.  Has anyone any advise for me?

Best regards,		    2001.9.25

 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@debian.org>
 Department of Math., Tokushima Univ.