Re: /bin/ls is impure!

On 19.09.2001, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Norbert Veber wrote:
> > Interesting.  How did you obtain the environment dump?
> "set", with no arguments. May be a bashism, though. Not sure.

I used the env program.

~$ env --version
env (GNU sh-utils) 2.0.11
~$ env|grep SHELL
~$ env|grep COLUMNS
~$ purity > /dev/null
~$ env|grep COLUMNS

On 20.09.2001, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Pekka Lampila wrote:
> > Actually it's not.
> Actually it is, your shell probably just sets COLUMNS dynamically instead of
> using it as a normal environment vairable.

Well, I have to believe my eyes. I surely did not resize xterm to 49151
columns (or anything else for that matter) :)

Pekka Lampila    || Giving money and power to governments is like giving
medar@kapina.org || whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.  -- P.J. O'Rourke