Re: A language by any other name

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, David Starner wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 11:57:06AM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On 19 Sep 2001, Gilbert Laycock wrote:
> >
> > > I believe that en_UK would be for Ukrainian english. The mind boggles.

> There's an en_DA, and someone was arguing for basically a en_SK recently.
> It wouldn't be unprecedented.

> > en_UK is English as spoken in the United Kingdom.  The ISO country code for
> > the Ukraine is UA.

> en_UK is not English as spoken in the United Kingdom. The ISO country code
> for the United Kingdom is GB. UK is not yet assigned, according to
> /usr/share/misc/countries.gz.

Err... the country code for United Kingdom may be GB per ISO 3166, but UK as
a country code still references United Kingdom, not the Ukraine -- note the
TLD (which ought to match the ISO code, but oh well).

I hardly think 'UA' makes a sensible abbreviation for 'Ukraine' unless 'UK'
is already taken -- so whether or not it appears in the official list, actual
usage shows that UK is understood to mean United Kingdom.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer