Re: Purposely broken/uninstallable packages in archive

In Wed, 19 Sep 2001 11:01:24 -0400 Norbert cum veritate scripsit :

> Why are such things allowed into the archive?  Will these things ever
> even
> make it into testing given that they are uninstallable?

diskless-image-secure |      0.3.6 |        stable | all
diskless-image-secure |     0.3.15 |       testing | all
diskless-image-secure |     0.3.15 |      unstable | all

> IMHO. this is a completelly wrong way of going about this.  These
> packages
> contain data used by other packages.  This is not uncommon, many
> packages
> have a -common or -data package to go with them.  This is a special case
> because the data is in the format of a .deb.  I suggest then that
> diskless-image-simple and friends should be packages that contain the
> .deb
> files.  Ie. there is no reason one cannot have a harmless
> diskless-image-simple that contains another .deb as data.  This second
> .deb
> can then be used by the diskless package to setup its chroot.

Good. Send me a patch.
I will apply it.

regards,
	junichi

--
dancer@debian.org : Junichi Uekawa   http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer
GPG Fingerprint : 17D6 120E 4455 1832 9423  7447 3059 BF92 CD37 56F4