Re: /bin/ls is impure!

Norbert Veber <nveber@debian.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> This is probably the weirdest thing I've seen in debian so far.
>
> I was able to re-produce it on my home and work machines, and a person on
> irc also go the same results.
>
> Try this:
> apt-get install purity purity-off # Not sure if the -off package is
> 				  # actually necessary
> purity list
> purity nerd			  # any test should do from the previous
> 				  # list
>
> Either finish the test, or abort it via ctrl-c or the "q" command.
>
> --> Now run ls.

???

root@ceramic:~[2]# apt-get install purity purity-off
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  purity purity-off
0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1  not upgraded.
Need to get 54.5kB of archives. After unpacking 215kB will be used.
Get:1 http://debian.commerceflow.com woody/main purity 1-9 [25.7kB]
Get:2 http://debian.commerceflow.com woody/main purity-off 0-2 [28.8kB]
Fetched 54.5kB in 0s (391kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package purity.
(Reading database ... 76862 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking purity (from .../archives/purity_1-9_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package purity-off.
Unpacking purity-off (from .../purity-off_0-2_all.deb) ...
Setting up purity (1-9) ...

Setting up purity-off (0-2) ...

root@ceramic:~[2]# suspend

zsh: 20762 suspended  su -m
phil@ceramic:~% purity list
welcome to the purity test.  the current available tests are:

mtrek  - see how muck of an mtrek geek you are...
nerd   - tests to see how "nerdy" you are...
hacker - a hard core computer hacker purity test.

format - an explanation of the data file format (for writing your own tests)
sample - prints a generic sample datafile

to run each test, use "purity <type_of_test> [flags]".

bye.
phil@ceramic:~% purity nerd
                        The East Campus Nerd Test

                        Posted to talk.bizarre by:
            SKITCHEN@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Kitchen Scott)

Score one point for each YES.  The score is % nerdity.

  1. Have you ever used a computer?  If the answer is no, try taking the
    Baker House Purity Test.
your answer? [ynbakdlsrq?] : Maybe

  2. Have you ever programmed a computer?
your answer? [ynbakdlsrq?] : Maybe

  3. Have you ever built a computer?
your answer? [ynbakdlsrq?] : quit

you answered 0 'no' answers out of 2 questions,
which makes your purity score 0.00%.

seeya later, alligator.
phil@ceramic:~% ls
Apache-CodeRed-1.07.tar.gz              shlib.c
dvpt/                                   shuse.c
priv/                                   usr/
phil@ceramic:~%

> Be prepared to abort it before it consumes all the available memory on your
> system.
>
> If you do this while in X, you will have to close your X terminal to get ls
> working agin (doesnt matter if its gnome-terminal, xterm, Eterm.  It even
> happens in console, though the effect is permanent (ls will not work on that
> console anymore).  reset, clear, etc dont fix it.
>
> I did not send this to the BTS yet as I'm not 100% certain what package is
> at fault.
>
> To me it looks like this would be a bug in ls, though I cant figure out what
> is causing it, or why it happens after running purity.  The environment is
> unchanged, the aliases are unchanged, the only difference is that ls no
> longer works.

It works... Something's wrong with your system.
Try strace'ing ls.

Phil.