Re: /bin/ls is impure!

  Norbert> --> Now run ls.

I can reproduce this.

  Norbert> Be prepared to abort it before it consumes all the available
  Norbert> memory on your system.
  Norbert> To me it looks like this would be a bug in ls, though I
  Norbert> cant figure out what is causing it, or why it happens after
  Norbert> running purity.  The environment is unchanged, the aliases are
  Norbert> unchanged, the only difference is that ls no longer works.

Did you check the COLUMNS environment variable?

brooks% echo $COLUMNS
brooks% /usr/games/purity list
welcome to the purity test.  the current available tests are:

mtrek  - see how muck of an mtrek geek you are...
nerd   - tests to see how "nerdy" you are...
hacker - a hard core computer hacker purity test.

format - an explanation of the data file format (for writing your own tests)
sample - prints a generic sample datafile

to run each test, use "purity <type_of_test> [flags]".

brooks% echo $COLUMNS

IIRC the memory use of the algorithm ls uses to sort its output into
varying-length columns increases greatly with wider terminals. Something
this absurdly large will cause the algorithm to start eating RAM, just as
reported. However, *why* COLUMNS gets set so big is another matter...

purity seems to be causing this. No idea why or how, but it seems to be
the culprit.

"Meat. They're made out of meat."

"It's better than bad, it's good!"

(I subscribe to all lists that I post to; please do not Cc me on list
Chris Danis                                 screech@mad.scientist.com
danish@debian.org                                  screechco@home.com
Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org                    dadanish@usa.net