Re: isdnutils getting into testing is a problem...

On Wed 12 Sep 2001, Martin Schulze wrote:

> This doesn't look sane anyway:
>
> Depends: isdnutils(>=1:3.1pre1b-1), isdnlog-data, debconf, libc6 (>= 2.2.3-7)
>                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Recommends: isdnlog-data
>             ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> (apart from the missing space for the first Depends, but that's not
> crucial apparently).
>
> If isdnlog depends on isdnlog-data, does isdnlog-data have to depend
> on isdnlog as well?  If not, remove the dependency and you've won.

Well, isdnlog needs the data, and the data is useless without isdnlog.
The reason why they're in separate packages is that the data is the same
for all architectures, and there's relatively a lot of it; so
replicating it in every (architecture-dependent) isdnlog package isn't
efficient. Also this opens up the possibility of downloading updated
isdnlog-data packages (or packages that provide and replace it) from
e.g. a website, as the data changes quite frequently.

But as there's been a deafening silence about my question about an
override for this, I've wimped out and made isdnlog depend on
isdnlog-data (the recommends was actually too weak, as isdnlog won't run
if it can't find any data), and isdnlog-data recommends isdnlog (so it
can be installed on those architectures that don't have isdnlog; perhaps
at some stage another app may want to use isdnlog's data?)

Paul Slootman