Re: problems with binary NMU and apt

Package: debhelper
Version: 3.0.44
Severity: normal

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> > Most of the esound packages have a 'esound-common (>= ${Source-Version})'
> > dependency in debian/control. Is there any generic solution for the problem?

> You could manually tweak debian/substvars during the build to set
> Source-Version to the maintainer's version.  I don't think this would
> violate the _principle_ of a binary NMU, but I don't know if there are
> codified rules somewhere.

Hrm, I just tried to build a package using

DH_OPTIONS=--dpkg-gencontrol-params=-v0.1-1.0.1 dpkg-buildpackage -B

In principle this could work, however current debhelper treats
--dpkg-gencontrol-params as equivalent to -u in
Debian::Debhelper::Dh_Getopt, so the -v option get passed to dpkg as well.

If that would be fixed (and I think this is a real bug since it passes the
args to dpkg, which differs from the behaviour in the man pages, hence the
bug report), one could build binary NMUs for packages that use debhelper
and don't override DH_OPTIONS in their debian/rules with this option.

   Simon

--
GPG public key available from http://phobos.fs.tum.de/pgp/Simon.Richter.asc
 Fingerprint: DC26 EB8D 1F35 4F44 2934  7583 DBB6 F98D 9198 3292