Re: Why isn't apt 0.5.4 moving to testing?

> On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 11:16:53AM -0400, Paul D. Smith wrote:
> > I'm seeing lots of problems with apt 0.5.3 in my testing release
> > installation which have apparently been fixed in 0.5.4.  So, I wanted to
> > see why it wasn't in testing yet.
> > The excuses say:
> >   apt 0.5.4 (currently 0.5.3) (important) (low)
> >             Maintainer: APT Development Team <deity@lists.debian.org>
> >             apt uploaded 22 days ago, out of date by 12 days!
> >             valid candidate (will be installed unless it's dependent
> >                upon other buggy pkgs)
>
> The List says:
>
>    apt: alpha: apt-move aptitude gnome-apt stormpkg
>
> which means that the new apt breaks apt-move, aptitude, gnome-apt
> and stormpkg get broken unless they're upgraded at the same time as
> apt. Unfortunately aptitude isn't able to be upgraded (there's an update,
> but it's not built on arm yet) and additionally the updated gnome-apt and
> stormpkg were built with the old apt on powerpc, so can't be successfully
> upgraded either.

Is it really necessary that the package must be able to be upgraded on
every architecture!? If we have 10 (or more) architecture to support,
it is very likely that packages break on a single architecture and
hold on the whole improvement process aided through more people
testing new software (packages).

Bye
  Christian

--