Re: ddts: notification about pt_BR-translation of the hello-debhelper description

Previously Martin Quinson wrote:
> 1) Do the translation

Right.

> 2) Put the translation in the Debian archive

Wrong. `Make the translation available' would be better. Not all packages
are in the Debian archive, and they have to be just as useful without
being forced to be in there.

> 3) Publish the translation, ie make sure it comes to the user hard disk when
>    the package gets available, even before it gets installed

Not sure about that. `Make it possible to access a translation for a
specific version of a specific package' would be better.

> 4) Use the translation when environment variable is properly set, and when
>    the user ask dpkg & Cie about a package.

Right.

> My patch gives a solution to 4, given that you use the gettext solution for
> 3, and maybe for 1-3. The ddts give a solution for 1.

Right, but 2 and 3 are the interesting ones and 4 is just a technical
implementation to access the data.

> You want to handle 2 by putting the translation in the package.

No, I want it to be possible to have it in the package, but it might
be elsewhere as well. Putting all translations in all packages doesn't
scale, but having multiple translations in a package can be useful (think
packages not in a full archive, for example a vendor shipping debs on a
CD).

> That's ok, but with which form ? There is at least two solutions: in a
> po file located somewhere in debian/ dir, or directly in the control
> file. You prefere the second solution, am I right ?

For translations inside the package, yes, definitely.

> As far as I understand, you want to take the descriptions aways from
> the /var/lib/dpkg/status file, and make several files, one per
> language. this would make the status DB lighter, and ease the handle
> of several languages.

I want the status file as it is to change, it contains much more
information then dpkg needs to do most of its work. Non-essential
data such as descriptions, maintainer info, etc. can be moved to
a seperate new file that tools like dpkg-query and frontends can
access (dpkg still needs to update it of course).

Wichert.

 /       Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool     \
| wichert@wiggy.net                   http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |