Re: A script to see how much a package is depended upon.

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001 00:11:28 +0900,
Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp> wrote:
> I was writing a script to see how much a package is depended upon,
> i. e. cumulatively culculating Reverse-Build-Deps, and
> Reverse-dependencies. However, I thought it might be useful to see
> what kind of packages have a "weight", i.e. needs fixing first for
> packages to enter "testing".
>
> As I anticipated, it has a lot of "loops", and it is going in ridiculous
> values. These things should have had trouble when porting to new arches,
> but anyway, I have put the script up on
> http://mikilab.doshisha.ac.jp/~dancer/analyse-sourcepackages
I rewrote it from scratch in Perl.
for Packages.gz
http://www.interq.or.jp/libra/oohara/analyse-packages/analyse-packages.perl.gz
for Sources.gz
http://www.interq.or.jp/libra/oohara/analyse-packages/analyse-sources.perl.gz

Here is the top 10 Depends list (for unstable):
./analyse-packages.perl | sort -n -r | head -n 10
5539 libc6
2245 debianutils
2069 xfree86-common
1990 libfreetype6
1986 xlibs
1829 perl-base
1803 libncurses5
1491 libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2
1383 zlib1g
1283 libdb2

The number of the *binary* packages that Build-Depends on a package:
./analyse-sources.perl | sort -n -r
5208 libncurses-dev
5203 libgc5-dev
5203 doxygen
5202 libpam-dev
5202 ed
5202 bison
5201 symlinks
5201 svgalibg1-dev
5201 sgml-tools
5201 perl5-base
(snip)
5200 debhelper
(snip)
5200 altgcc
(*not* snipped here)
690 libpng-dev
(snip)

The total number of the packages:
$ zcat Packages.gz | egrep -c "^Package:"
6361

--
Oohara Yuuma <oohara@libra.interq.or.jp>
Graduate-school of Science, Kyoto University

I always put away what I take.
--- Ryuji Akai, "Star a way"