Re: root rm: Permission denied (Was: unable to stat `./usr/share/man/man3/qcanvas.3qt.gz')

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 01:24:56PM +0200, Tille, Andreas wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>
> > Corrupted filesystem, unlink that file and try again.
> Hmmm, I have also a relict of older ReiserFS (from 2.4.4 or so) on
> my HD (I´m so happy that I didn´t used it on a critical box and perhaps
> never will do so ...):
>
> /var/lug# whoami
> root
> /var/lug# unlink postgres.log.7.gz
> unlink: unlinking `postgres.log.7.gz': Permission denied
> /var/lug# rm -f postgres.log.7.gz
> rm: cannot remove `postgres.log.7.gz': Permission denied

i would suggest the immutable flag, but AFAIK reiserfs has no such
thing.  thats the only time ive ever seen root denied permission to do
such things (other then /proc..).

sure someone isn't playing a joke on you and replaced /bin/su with
fakeroot ;-)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/