Re: A script to see how much a package is depended upon.

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

> Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> immo vero scripsit
>
> > > 3.24463e+09 liburi-perl
> >
> > You need to debug your script. We don't have this much packages in any of
> > our archives. Not even...
> >
> > [...]
> > > 29169746 readline4
> >
> > ... this much.
> >

> I think this signifies that packages depend on itself to build.
>
> I can detect A->A relationship easily, but
> A->B->C->A cannot easily be detected.

Sure you can. Create a linked list of all packages:

package->package->package->package->...

Then go through this linked list once, and create bi-directional pointers
(or references, depending on the language being used ;-) to all packages
this particular package depends on. You'll then get some web of package
dependencies, while being able to find loops in the process.

It'll probably need a *lot* of time to process, but that's something
else...

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas dot be

"Human knowledge belongs to the world"