Re: sysctl should disable ECN by default

Eric Van Buggenhaut <eric@andago.com> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 02:37:28PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> writes:
> >
> > > Why should the default configuration be changed to account for the
> > > diminishing number of broken routers on the net?
> >
> > >From a technical behavior, throwing away packets with unknown protocol
> > flags is perfectly acceptable in any case and even reasonable in some
> > environments.
>
> No it's not, you're violating RFC 793.

I was indeed wrong, but not because of RFC 793.  IIRC, there isn't
such a required in this standard.  But RFC 1812 explicitly requires
routers not to check or otherwise deal with unused IP header fields,
and I think this might be extended by analogy to TCP.

OTOH, anyone is free to do anything with packets passing through his
systems.  Internet is not a right. ;-)

--
Florian Weimer 	                  Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
University of Stuttgart           http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/