Re: sysctl should disable ECN by default

On Wed, 05 Sep 2001, T.Pospisek's MailLists wrote:
> at least not consciously because I doubt anybody who's pro ECN in the
> kernel has had to debug a situtation such as described above.

Don't. You will lose.

> But you can sure tell from my enthusiasm, and I'm no networking idiot,
> that I *do* feel strong about it and that's exactly because I had fun
> lately with it and I don't think it's necessary for everybody who happens
> to have the bad luck to find itself in the same position to forcibly
> repeat that lovely experience. And you can be certain that if the
> situation stays as it is, I will not be the last one.
>
> But tell me *one* thing:
>
> 	Why is it so hard to change a few lines and have the default be
> 	set to *off* and let whoever feels like it enable it?

Because apparently Xu feels equally strong about not allowing someone else's
irresponsability (the router firmware writer's) to force him to disable
something he believes is right (or force him to change the default kernel
behaviour against upstream wishes, or whatever) ?

I think that, had you requested this as a DOCUMENTATION patch, and also for
a warning to be issued in the postinst, you'd not have met too much
resistance.

  Henrique Holschuh