Re: ddts: notification about pt_BR-translation of the hello-debhelper description

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 12:20:42PM +0100, Nick Phillips wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 12:00:42PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
>
> > > It needs to be stored, in /var/lib/dpkg/status, as a single file.  This is so
> > > that dpkg can make safe updates to it.  Trying to sync multiple files is not a
> > > simple solution.
> >
> > no, it does not store there. And I can explain it:
>
> Well, shouldn't it? Wouldn't it make sense to have the translated description
> in there rather than the original one?

(I hope I understand it right...)

No, don't touch the files in /var/lib/dpkg/*. Don't insert the
translation, don't replace the orignal with the translation.

We should support not only one language, see should support more
languages at the same time with dpkg and with a nice fallback path.

And if we don't change the files in /var/lib/dpkg/, we don't need a
big patch in dpkg. dpkg is a core element in debian and it must be
stable. If we change a lot, we break (maybe) a lot. This is not nice.

Gruss
Grisu
Ein Prompt! Um Himmelswillen! Ein Prompt!! HILFEEEE!!!!