Re: new proposal: Translating Debian packages' descriptions

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 08:55:32PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 07:59:47PM +0200, Richard Atterer wrote:
>
> > > 2.) get the .po/.mo files on the system
> > [snip]
> > >    If we don't like this process on the client all the time, we can
> > >    produce Descriptions-XX.po files and the clinet must only
> > >    download this file and save this in the right dir. But this file
> > >    will include the orignal description and with this it has the
> > >    double size and download time.
> >
> > I don't know enough about gettext - am I assuming correctly that in
> > the .mo file, the English translation is replaced with a checksum or
> > similar, so you do not need to store the complete English translation?
>
> see in the info page from gettext.
[snip]
> You see in the mo file is the orignal description.

OK, then why do you say above "But [the .po] will include the orignal
description and with this it has the double size"? Doubled size
compared to what? Packages-XX?

> > >      put the translation as normal .po file in the
> > >      /usr/share/desc-trans/<locale>/desc-trans.d/ dir. finish.
> > >
> > >      This don't need some extra work on dpkg etc.
> >
> > Actually, I think this is completely sufficient. Let the
> > maintainer include updated translations at his convenience in new
> > uploads, and use the override mechanism for the
> > Descriptions-XX.mo.gz files until he has done so.
>
> Descriptions-XX.mo.gz? not Descriptions-XX.po.gz?

Er, maybe .po. As I said, I'm not really a gettext expert.

> if dpkg use gettext, dpkg show the translation of all textes in the
> mo file. And if you use apt-get update you have the translation of
> all packages (from the apt source) in the .mo file.

Right, the Descriptions-XX.po.gz needs to contain all translations.
Sorry, I mixed things up.

(BTW, wouldn't it make sense to represent the English translation only
with a checksum in Descriptions-XX? We'd save a lot of space...)

What do you think of my main point: Since we already have an override
facility with the Descriptions-XX.po.gz, why should we bother
introducing another override mechanism which modifies the
control.tar.gz? OK, dpkg --info will not work until the maintainer
catches up, but most people use dselect or "apt-cache show".

All the best,

  Richard

--
  __   _