Re: How many people need locales?

>> Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> writes:

 > We are supposed to minimize the number of questions. If we can go
 > from "very rarely" to "never", that's already a gain.

 Actually that's something I've been meaning to ask for a while now.
 debconf has made question-less installation possible or at least not as
 annoying -- anyone remember starting a dpkg -BORGiE run, going for a
 coffee only to come back and find the process stopped after just five
 minutes and forty packages?  Well, it still happens on upgrades because
 dpkg stops to ask if a configuration file should be replaced or not.
 Is this avoiable somehow?  (without resorting to things like FAI, which
 I understand is oriented towards large installations)

 > What's wrong with following policy when it says configuration files
 > for which there is not a default which satifies almost everybody
 > should not be managed by the conffile mechanism?

 I read the bug discussion but I didn't really understood Ben's point.
 Why does the file have to be a conffile?  The contents of the file
 should not really change once the user modified it, should it?  In this
 case there's nothing for the maintainer to tweak from version to
 version, at least nothing that can affect positively a user who already
 modified the file.  The changes I can remember had to do with internal
 documentation for the file or turning it into a pseudo-menu.

--
Marcelo             | Item 13: List members in an initialization list in the
mmagallo@debian.org | order which they are declared