Re: How many people need locales?

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 02:34:58PM +0200, Miros/law Baran wrote:
> 3.09.2001 pisze Radovan Garabik (garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk):
>
> > but you have to realize one thing: they are not doing it because of
> > locale. They are doing it because they want to tell their
> > applications to pass 8-bit characters unaffected.
>
> A quite elegant _theory_. Rather untrue. Falsified by me.

and proved by me :-)
(question was about "most people")
Of all the people I know who are using linux here (about 10), no one
uses (slovak) locale for anything else then allowing to pass
iso-8859-2 chars to/from the console.
They hate, or at least are indifferent to having menus
in their native language. They hate number format in slovak locale.

Those who do not understand enough english are using czech/slovak windows
(and are setting custom number format to use decimal dot and no commas,
if their computer literacy is up to it)

czesc