Re: How many people need locales?

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 02:21:04AM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> Hello.
>
> For the purposes of determining whether or not "most users need to
> change the /etc/locale.gen file" Ben and I need an estimate of the
> proportion of Debian users using locales among all Debian users.

I have yet to meet a person who would ever need a slovak locale.
Nobody cares at all (collate order? who needs that? Different
format of numbers? This is not only unneeded, but even harmful.
Different format of date? Who cares.. Gettext? Maybe, but nobody
I know is using it, because they mostly understand english and
slovak menus are more difficult to get used to when 70% of applications
would be in English anyway).
The _only_ _sole_ reason why people (I know) are using locales is to
allow passing of 8-bit chars unaffected to/from the console (xterm, X,
etc...)