Re: new port: and the winner is....

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 05:05:47PM +0200, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:
> [...] Nobody sees MS porting again NT (win32) outside
> of x86, at least for 32-bit machines. [...]

On the other hand, MS may continue to use win32 on 64 bit processors. Then
it may be nice to be able to have win32-ia64 as well as win32-i386, etc.
Or if they remake the OS entierly (but why would they, I'd just modify it
slightly to retain backwards compability), we might want a win64-ia64.

On another topic: I'd like to be able to run Debian win32 (or whatever the
name) on all versions of Windows. Debian is just a distribution. I'd like to
have this port as that would ease the installation of free software on
Windows. I can run Emacs on Windows 98 today. I'd prefer using apt to
install it and get new versions whenever neccessary, and to install things
it depends on, but I don't think I should have to use NT because of that.
If certain packages must run on ntfs, for example, we could have them depend
on "using-ntfs" which could be provided by the base system if on a NT
system. (This was better described in an article by Markus Brinkmann, and
may also be used to solve the problems that arise when packages need MMX or
3dnow etc.)

--
                                                Niklas