Re: new port: and the winner is....

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 11:15:53AM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> > (On the other hand, "cygnus" might be a more accurate description of
> > your platform.)
>
> Or "cygwin" given that it's going to be a cygwin system running Debian.

I've had some (limited) experience with cygnus in win32 and also with
mingw32 cross-compiling in Linux.  Cygnus-compiled apps seemed to be prone
to crashes caused by bugs in the runtime lib that (AFACT?) tries to
emulate a normal POSIX system.

Mingw requires that the program actually be able to build on a win32
system, but produces code that runs much faster, is far more stable in my
experience, and competes head to head with the same app compiled for MSVC
versions 4 and 6.

I have no real interest in Debian on win32 systems, I'm just offering my
experiences.  I wouldn't mind seeing SDL, WxWindows, zlib, etc packaged
for mingw cross-compiles to make my life a little easier though.  My
current cross-platform project supports MSVC 4/6 native and mingw cross
compiles as well as building for Linux.  It could (and will probably)
support most desktop platforms SDL works on, but we have no plans in the
immediate future to try and get it working with cygwin simply because
compared with mingw, it just sucks.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                 Free software developer

* Knghtbrd crosses his toes
<Knghtbrd> (if I crossed my fingers it would be hard to type)