Re: [woodm@equire.com: XFree86 common]

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 12:52:12PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 12:26:07PM +0200, Eric Van Buggenhaut wrote:
> > You're at a such high position that you delegate tasks now ?
> [...]
> >        \/   \/          Av. Santa Engracia, 54
> > a n d a g o  |--        E-28010 Madrid - tfno:+34(91)2041100
>
> <Jingofiend> What is it with you guys in Spain?  Santiago flamed me in
> private email for daring to ask someoone else to answer a FAQ.
> </Jingofiend>
>
> Anyway, I've been punting private mails to the Debian lists for years.
> It's a common practice.  My job is to maintain my packages, not to
> answer private emails all day.  By forwarding messages like this to
> debian-devel or debian-user, I ask for someone to volunteer to answer
> the person's question.

Now, I don't want to imagine the amount of mails and noise, we'd had if
everybody did this ...

Probably it takes you as much time to send a message to the list asking for
someone else to help as to answer the sender of the message directly.

> If no one volunteers, the mail goes just as unanswered as it would if I
> never passed it along.  So by forwarding the mail, I *increase* the
> chances that it will get answered, and that a curious user will be
> helped.

> Perhaps you'd care to explain to me how this is wrong?

I use to answer the private mail suggesting the sender to contact a
mailing-list. At least he'd know what he'll have to do next time he faces a
problem.

--
Eric VAN BUGGENHAUT                 "Real Programers don't use Pascal"
        \_|_/           Andago
       \/   \/          Av. Santa Engracia, 54
a n d a g o  |--        E-28010 Madrid - tfno:+34(91)2041100
       /\___/\ 		http://www.andago.com
        / | \           "Innovando en Internet"
                        eric@andago.com