Re: new port: and the winner is....

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Andrew Suffield wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 03:18:43PM +0200, A Mennucc1 wrote:
> > I have then decided for the name of the new port: I have
> > decided to stick to
> >  canonical Debian architecture name= win
>
> I'm not going to comment on this shameless namespace pollution.
>
> >  ----what needs to be discussed
>
> You failed to mention what you are going to do to tackle the questions
> of permissions mapping and symlinks.

Symlinks are implemented in Cygwin itself (as shortcuts, for those who
care).

I don't know about permissions.

> Without support for these, you
> would have to reimplement an inane number of maintainer scripts, and
> that simply is not an option. Probably a bunch of other things that
> win32 environments lack as well. (No _way_ could you use a fat32
> filesystem; ntfs is required).

We could include that as part of the installation requirements for
Debian/w32...

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas in Belgium

This is Linux world. On a quiet day, you can hear Windows reboot.