Re: RFD: translated description with dpkg

Michael Bramer wrote:
> > I think that splitting mo files out of debian packages and distributing
> > them seperatly would be insane[3]. I think it would create a level of
> > confusion and mess that would make me very glad I am a mere mono-lingual
> > 'merkin.
>
> sorry, we proposed:
> !The ddts can provide po files with all translated packages and build
> !own deb packages with this file.
>
> We propose to make a description-translation-de.deb, a
> description-translation-ja.deb etc. and you can download it (per ftp,
> per apt, receive it per mail, ...) and install it. After this you have
> translated descriptions...

I misunderstood that in your original message. I still have qualms about
how this is supposed to really work in practice. By introducing this
special set of packages holding translated descriptions, you effectively
require those packages to be upgraded *before* a user views package
descriptinos in dselect or other frontends. Otherwise they will not see
all the available translations. It doesn't seem technically sound.

> If you will make apt-cache show or apt-cache search or if you will use
> dselect you need all package description. Now we use the Package file
> with this. But what is _your_ proposal with translated description?
>
>  - should we put all translations in the package controll file (with
>    the tag 'Description-XX:'?)

Yes, we certianly should. I think that doing this in conjunction with
using translated Packages-XX files like you all have set up now (but
getting the translations for the Packages files out of the debs when the
Packages files are created, with the possiblity of overrides) is a lot
cleaner than what you have suggested, and will scale much better.

> If you don't use our proposal we must
>  - store the description in the packages and in the
>    Package/Description files

So? The one can be generated from the other via overrides. We can make
the process of updating translated package descriptions from the
overrides when a package is built *trivial*. Just imagine a
update-description program that you (or dpkg-buildpackage) run just
before building a package. It connects to a translation server, looks to
see if any new translations are available, and downloads them.

>  - the user must download more bytes, the /var/lib/dpkg/status file
>    will growing and dpkg will lost speed...

The status file is already growing, and users already need to download
more data whenever a new localization is added to a package.

>  - in the result you kill the translation project.

You have a very low opinion of Debian developers, don't you? I find it
frankly insulting.

--
see shy jo