Re: RFD: translated description with dpkg

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Michael Bramer wrote:

<snip>
> > Uhm, yeah. But descriptions are stored in Packages files too, right? ;-)
>
> we will not touch/change any .deb file or any Packages files. And we
> will not release own Packages files. (we make this _now_ only to test
> and use the translated description.)

Very nice. But this was another proposal that, too, results in translated
descriptions. Just in a different way, so that maintainers can still have
the last vote, while translaters are not being demotivated by maintainers
that take their time to include the translation.

> All translations are store in one or more .mo files. And this file(s)
> are in normal packages.

Good. But I'd rather not have one big .deb for translated
descriptions; it's very likely to lag behind. When these .mo files are in
the .deb they're talking about, you don't have that problem.

To prevent that translated descriptions rot in the BTS, someone suggested
that translated descriptions could be put in translated package files by
the FTP-admins if the maintainer does not react quickly enough. Then
Wichert replied that this would break things since the .deb would need to
change for that. He explained that this is not true for sections, since
they were in the Package file. My reply to that can be read above.

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas dot be

"Human knowledge belongs to the world"
  -- from the movie "Antitrust"