Re: how to quickly reduce debian bugcount a *lot*

Brian Mays <brian@debian.org> wrote:
>> > On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Andreas Metzler asked:

> On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh replied:
>>> Well, don't close it, but tag it fixed AND send a message to that
>>> bug stating who you are, and that you tested it AND that the bug
>>> has gone away.  You should also state which version of the
>>> software you tested it against.

> vorlon@netexpress.net (Steve Langasek) added:
>> Speaking for myself, I would not be offended if someone closed out
>> one of my bug reports for me -- /if/ they were right that the bug
>> was gone.

> Closing the bug should be perfectly fine, and I myself would encourage
> such practice.  Anyone can reopen the report if he or she disagrees with
> your conclusion.

Hello,
thanks for your advice. Now I've heard three slightly differing
opinions and because I don't want to make anyone even slightly mad I
am going to take the most conservative approach and close only
bugs I reported myself and tag other ones as fixed.

If I provided all the necessary information (thanks to Henrique for
the checklist) I'd be very confident that the package-maintainer would
close the bug.  (Afair almost every bug I reported was taken care of
after maximal 3 months, most of them just in one month, even the
wishlist bugs.)

> Indeed, the "Developers' information regarding the bug processing system"
> states that

>   A developer who receives a bug from the tracking system,
      ^^^^^^^^^
      I am no developer, although the BTS stated otherwise, like
      promised in <[🔎] 20010828203247.A850@localhost> ;-)

       cu andreas
--
Uptime: 10 seconds  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
vim:ls=2:stl=***\ Sing\ a\ song.\ ***