Re: how to quickly reduce debian bugcount a *lot*

> > On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Andreas Metzler asked:

> > > Is it ok to ... close a bug that I confirmed that it is fixed

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh replied:

vorlon@netexpress.net (Steve Langasek) added:

> Speaking for myself, I would not be offended if someone closed out one of my
> bug reports for me -- /if/ they were right that the bug was gone.

Closing the bug should be perfectly fine, and I myself would encourage
such practice.  Anyone can reopen the report if he or she disagrees with
your conclusion.

Indeed, the "Developers' information regarding the bug processing system"
states that

   A developer who receives a bug from the tracking system, or sees it on
   debian-bugs-dist, and takes responsibility for it should hit Reply in
   their favorite mailreader, and then edit the To field to say
   nnn-done@bugs.debian.org instead of nnn@bugs (nnn-close is provided as
   an alias for nnn-done).

   The address of the original submitter of the bug report will be
   included in the default To field, because the bug system included it
   in the Reply-To.

As a courtesy, I would contact the maintainer and inform him that you
have taken responsibility for the bug report.  He might disagree with
you, but if you are correct, he might be thankful.  (I would be.)

- Brian