Re: adduser rewrite

Roland Bauerschmidt <rb@debian.org> writes:

> David Nusinow wrote:
> > 	Ok, I've started a little bit on the adduser rewrite, and I'm going to keep
> > hacking away at it tonight. Does someone want to take deluser or collaborate
> > on adduser with me?
>
> I'm actually also looking how adduser could be implemented in C. I
> borrowed quite a few ideas from cdebconf... This will take some time
> until it works though.

You might also want to have the following features:

 - Better integration with NIS and/or LDAP (support for either is
   currently inexistent)

 - Adduser/deluser triggers (/etc/adduser.d /etc/deluser.d) so that
   packages can install some scripts to be ran when a user is added or
   deleted... The following applications come to mind:

      * Could be used to create accounts in other databases
        (eg. cyrus-imapd) when a system account is created...

      * Could be used to delete per-user files (eg. we maintain
        per-user httpd logs in /var/local/ which could be purged
        automagically when the accounts are deleted).

Easier said than done though...

Phil.