Re: ITP: xv-3.10a - An image viewer and manipulator for the X Window System.

Francesco Paolo Lovergine <frankie@debian.org> writes:

> Package: wnpp
> Severity: wishlist
>
> This program is a classic image manipulation program in X11.  It is
> quite dated, but useful. It is currently in `stable' release, within
> non-free/graphics section, but it is absent in
> unstable/testing. Latest upload was in May 2000.  I sent an email
> four days ago to the current maintainer for potato (Phil Troin) for
> a NMU.

Never got your email...

> Apparently it is not orphaned, but it is not under the list
> of his packages (something is lost, apparently).
>
> License :
>
> XV Licensing Information
> ------------------------
> XV IS SHAREWARE FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY.
>
> [...]
>
> License conditions are quite long, anyway it is distributed with
> sources.

and they prevent binary redistribution:

  The software may be modified for your own purposes, but modified
  versions may not be distributed without prior consent of the author.

This probably fails some DFSG clause.

I've repeatedly tried to contact the author (for patches, for this
issue) and he never replied...

If you still manage to do something with it, I've got a huge patchset
to make it work reasonnably well... Contact me then...

> If I'll have a contact with Phil I'll close this ITP.

Now, why didn't I get your email ?

Phil.