Re: mail-followup-to vs. reply-to [was: YA /[s]bin thread was Re: Who is a Debian user?]

Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> writes:

> mutt seems to handle this use of Mail-Followup-To: for list-reply
> correctly; it replies to the list, which is what list-reply is
> supposed to do, but Cc:s the target in Mail-Followup-To.

That's not necessarily the right thing to do.  As far as I can tell
from the draft[1] (which was not accepted, and has expired), a mail
client should not include the list.  In any case, Gnus honors the
mail-followup-to in that it sets the default to only to
galt@inconnu.isu.edu.

Note that Mail-Followup-To is _not_ an internet standard, and has no
status at this point, so there's little ground for calling MUAs broken
on its basis.  (For that matter, neither is Mail-Copies-To, is it?
And I'm sure it's only been specified in terms of Usenet messages, not
mail.)

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/98dec/I-D/draft-ietf-drums-mail-followup-to-00.txt

A rolling stone gathers momentum.