Re: ITC: dpkg-sysconfig

Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org> writes:

You pressed the wrong kay and you answer ended up in my mail box
instead of the list. I'm quoting you full mail.

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 11:40:51AM +0200, Peter Makholm wrote:
> > Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org> writes:
> >
> > > - Apply patches to the system (not tested enough)
> >
> > What is this supposed to do? What kind of patches and what system?
>
> Sometimes when you have a complex configuration you want several
> packages to change different parts of a configuration file (for
> example), or if you want to make special changes to a webbased
> tool patches are a good way to make this work.
>
> You take the orginal file (or the one that are in the skel that will
> be copied into the system each time), change it and generate a diff.
> You do that for each tiny config change and now you can have a
> quite flexible configuration.
>
> Example:
>
> You have three hosts that you want to configure automaticly.
> 1 Webserver
> 2 Emailserver (with webmail locally)
> 3 Standby server (with both, if 1 or 2 breaks).
>
> You can then have a standard apache config that fits all of them
> with some small changes.
> Make the changes for the webserver, and then for the emailserver and
> you can (if you have done it correctly) apply both patches to the standby
> server and it works. But this is not tested enough (yet).
>
> Regards,
>
> // Ola

Well, that could be usefull. You have to back off nice, if people
all-ready has changed from the standard configuration. Somehow you're
working around debian-policy when you're changing conf-files.

--
Når folk spørger mig, om jeg er nørd, bliver jeg altid ilde til mode
og svarer lidt undskyldende: "Nej, jeg bruger RedHat".