Re: Who is a Debian user?

On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, Claes Andersson wrote:

> Translated to a social situation, it is like if I asked my Debian box:
>

> "Hi Debian, can you tell me what IP-addresses are attached to your network
> interfaces?"
>
> it pretends to look clueless:
>
> "IP-addresses? Network interfaces? What are you talking about?"

I would not call that "clueless". The ip-addresses attached are
system-config, and are not generelly useable to an user of that machine.
The same way, that there is no command, to list the http-root-dirs of
the webserver or the like.
ifconfig is an system-administration tool. It may be usefull to an
user of the box, as it gives network-internal data. (Why would anyone
need the ip-address? Why should there be any reason to think, that it
even has one?)

In my eyes to my either try an host `hostname`. Or write an package that
includes an little programm ip-addy, that somehow gets network-internal
data like ip-address. (e.g. by calling /sbin/ifconfig, if it is there)

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link