Re: Who is a Debian user?

On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, Claes Andersson wrote:
> every time. The reason for this seems to be traditional, and/or because

"traditional" is the right answer. Also, this is a sore thread due to the
amount of time already lost with the same issue; something which you would
have known had you searched the mailing list archives for "traceroute".

Either get the FHS standard to bless traceroute in /usr/bin, or deal with
it. Complaining about it here will NOT get you any closer to your goal.

> lists, the decision is not guided so much on making it easy for the user.

You got it right.  Most of us do things in a particular way because that is
the better technical solution as far as we know.  In the /usr/sbin/ifconfig;
/usr/sbin/traceroute particular cases, it is a matter of traditional
placement of these utilities, and the FHS.

> The user is rather expected to RTFM. But even if you are a very intelligent
> user, RTMF takes time, and when you have to do it a lot, it adds up.

Our time is as valuable as theirs; Actually, more valuable IMHO since our
time produces much more for Debian than the regular user's (there ARE
exceptions, and I acknowledge that), and there are many times more users
than developers. "Can't be bothered to RTFM" is NOT an excuse.

This is a moot point anyway. We have to RTFM, and we do get told to RTFM
when we forget something, just like any other user. Should
non-debian-developer users get treated as some special class of people that
cannot read manuals due to some sort of brain damage?  I'd be seriously
pissed if anyone did that to me.

> Would it not be easier just to tell me? After all, it is not a secret

We're not there yet :(

  Henrique Holschuh