Re: Who is a Debian user?

On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, Claes Andersson wrote:

> To all people that answered me, I think you are missing my point - or - I do
> not express myself well enough.

I don't think so.

This has been brought up over and over and over and over and over
again. People are tired of it, that's all. The reason that traceroute is
in /usr/sbin is simple: FHS defines that "user tools" belong in /usr/bin,
while "administrator tools" belong in /usr/sbin. However, FHS does *not*
clearly define what "administrator tools" are, and _that_ is the
problem. In this case, the maintainer of traceroute feels that traceroute
is a administrator tool, so it goes in /usr/sbin.

Many people, including you, feel different. However, since this really is
a borderline case, it's hard to tell who's right and who's wrong. And
since it's traceroute's maintainer that gets to decide where traceroute
ends up, it'll stay there (at least as long as Herbert Xu doesn't change
his mind or orphanes traceroute), no matter how much time you spend trying
to change it ;-)

<snip>

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas dot be