Re: Who is a Debian user?

Em Sat, 25 Aug 2001 10:26:06 +0200
"Claes Andersson" <claes2001@hotmail.com> escreveu:

> >learning anything takes time.
>
> Time is often limited. For me at my spare time it is less of a problem. At
> work, in support scenarios I have experienced, it is a bigger problem. And
> this discussion would be much easier with a definition about what users
> Debian aims for. Because if I knew that I could shut up or insist, depending
> on the definition.
if you are giving support on something you are supposed to have tried that
before...

who are Debian users? answer: anyone

you are, someway, understanding that the reason for putting these progs
on /sbin is to make the system unusable by users... that's foolish.
Debian has some policies... there's something called "FHS" or File
Hierarchy Standard. Debian follows it.

If you read it you'll notice that commands that should be run by the
administrator only (ifconfig is included and cited there) should go
into /sbin. Usually, the administrator is the one who'll have the need
to run those. The user will run KDE, games, production software, etc..
*BUT*... if you, as admin, want your users to run them: use one of the
solutions that were presented. Or if a user wants to run that program,
he/she can use /sbin/<prg> instead or add /sbin to PATH....

so... there's no problem here and you are complaining about something
that 'you didn't know' and that's not Debian problem, that's your
problem... Debian is following policies and standards.

also, there's a command called 'whereis':

[kov]@[couve] $ whereis ifconfig
ifconfig: /sbin/ifconfig /usr/share/man/man8/ifconfig.8.gz

and you could have used it to find this out...

[]s!

--
    Gustavo Noronha Silva - kov <http://www.metainfo.org/kov>
|  .''`.  | Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>            |