Re: Who is a Debian user?

On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 09:21:02AM +0200, Claes Andersson wrote:
> >/sbin/ifconfig and /usr/sbin/traceroute *are* usable by non-root
> >users.
>
> This is true, I know. They are usable, but they are not supposed to be used?

they are available for use. they can be used by non-root users,
if non-root users want to run them then there's nothing stopping
them..."supposed to" doesn't come into it. if users were not supposed
to run them then permissions would be set so that they couldn't.

> >if you're going to make a long-winded complaint, then at least have
> >the courtesy to complain about a real problem.
>
> It is a real problem, from my point of view. Not and end-of-the-world
> problem, but a bump in the road that is totally unneccessary.

the problem, if there is any, is in your understanding.

> >either specify the full path on the command line (i.e. type
> >"/sbin/ifconfig" rather than just "ifconfig") or have a policy that the
> >sbin directories must be added to the default path when linux machines
> >are built - e.g. by editing /etc/profile.
>
> Yes but you see : I am not the one that makes up the policies of
> environments of my customers machines.

then tell them the full path when you get them to type in the command.

it's really not a problem. you're making a mountain out of a very small
molehill.

> Also, when I first used Debian this was very confusing to me. It
> took a while to figure out, as I alway had these commands on my path
> before.

learning anything takes time.

craig

--