Re: Who is a Debian user?

On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 02:29:19AM +0200, Claes Andersson wrote:
> [...]
> When our customers experience communication problems with our
> software, they contact support, and if support is not able to help
> them, they often come to me. And I try to help them, on the phone
> usually. Ask them to try this and try that. Often I ask them to run
> ipconfig (ifconfig in Linux) or tracert (traceroute in Linux). With
> the information they give me I can usually help them. Neither of us
> are superusers. Still, I see a need for both me and the users that
> call me to occasionally to run these commands.
> [...]

/sbin/ifconfig and /usr/sbin/traceroute *are* usable by non-root
users.

if you're going to make a long-winded complaint, then at least have the
courtesy to complain about a real problem.

either specify the full path on the command line (i.e. type
"/sbin/ifconfig" rather than just "ifconfig") or have a policy that the
sbin directories must be added to the default path when linux machines
are built - e.g. by editing /etc/profile.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

Fabricati Diem, PVNC.