Re: apt-get upgrade sizes

On 08/24/2001 02:59:21 PM Lauri Tischler wrote:

>> If I do 'apt-get upgrade' I see something like following:
>> 'Need to get 33.0MB of archives. After unpacking 2231kb will be used.'
>> OK, apt loads bunch of packages, total size 30MB
>> What does the '2231kb will be used' mean ?

Question belongs on debian-user.  Regardless, the answer is contained in
file /usr/share/doc/apt/guide.text.gz

To quote from that document:

206 packages upgraded, 8 newly installed, 23 to remove and 51 not upgraded.
12 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 65.7M/66.7M of archives. After unpacking 26.5M will be used.

     The first line of the summary simply is a reduced version of all of
     the lists and includes the number of upgrades - that is packages
     already installed that have new versions available.  The second line
     indicates the number of poorly configured packages, possibly the
     result of an aborted installation.  The final line shows the space
     requirements that the installation needs.  The first pair of numbers
     refer to the size of the archive files.  The first number indicates
     the number of bytes that must be fetched from remote locations and the
     second indicates the total size of all the archives required.  The
     next number indicates the size difference between the presently
     installed packages and the newly installed packages.  It is roughly
     equivalent to the space required in /usr after everything is done.  If
     a large number of packages are being removed then the value may
     indicate the amount of space that will be freed.