Re: "Section" in *.doc-base file.

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 12:34:39PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> FYI, I have made your summary into a bug against doc-base, which I'm
> CC'ing here.  If people can be sure to CC the bug this in the
> discussion, I'll get a copy of the discussion.

Yoshito's summary is admirably concise.

However, I would like to reemphasize that documentation covers more
than runnable programs.  It is artificial and confusing to separate
documentation about a programming tool from documentation about a
programming library, simply because the first is a program and the
second is not.  Both are related to "programming" and the
documentation navigation should reflect that.

(Fuller argument in
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200108/msg01017.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200108/msg01022.html)

> I have some ideas about a more flexible subject structure.  We really
> need something like a "subject authority list" -- massively simpler
> say than the Library of Congress one, but I don't see why we can't
> lift some ideas from there.

This sounds promising, but I hope you are serious about the "massively
simpler" bit.  :-) I wouldn't like to see more than a dozen or so
choices at each level of the menu.

> Anyhow, I do already have a provision doc-base structure,

I'd like to have a look.  How can I get ahold of this?

-Steve

--
by Rocket to the Moon,
by Airplane to the Rocket,