Re: Summery [was OpenOffice]

Hi too...
On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 01:33:30PM +0200, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
>> > The next point is the JDK.
>As far as I looked in it, it seems to become more and more independend
>from java. The compontent seem to communicate only over udk and api, and
>the core components are in c++. I think we can hope, that it will build
>without java and only some additional packages will need java to build
>and/or work. (But I do not may hope, that they will work with free
>java-compilers).

:(

>> Great (although I won't have the time to help any more, since I've got
>> exams at the end of the month. Maybe after those...)
>I think before we can look at the java-components, it might be over
>half an year if it goes well or otherwise longer.

oh.. yes... first of all, we have to fix up the buildsystem.

>I'm currently trying to get the sal (System abstraction layer)
>packaged using any means and bad tricks. (Including lines like
># Sorry Porters, but it is the most simple way for me:
>CFLAGS +=   -DLINUX=1 -DGLIBC=2
>in the Makefile.am) to get the basic system, so that idlc (the
>idl-compiler of uno) and the uno/udk libs in same elementary form there,
>so that work can go on, improving the packaging of the basics while
>at the same time investiagting the main modules of openoffice to
>see what we can do with all the forked libraries.

If I'm able to compile openoffice succesfully, I will see, which
trick/changes might be nessesary.
But, first I thought, it will be a good way to make deb of the subsystems of
the buildsystem, but does it make any sence?

Hmm.. OopenOffice is modular, you might be able to get only the chart-
application by apt-get install openoffice-chart for example, but this might
depend on some libs, which are hidden in the sourcetree.

I would pleased if I could compile and install openoffice from scratch to,
what will be installed by openoffice.

Regards
		Jan
--
One time, you all will be emulated by linux!

----
Jan- Hendrik Palic
Url:"http://www.billgotchy.de";
E-Mail: "palic@billgotchy.de"