Re: Summery [was OpenOffice]

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> > The next point is the JDK.
>
> Note that the official OpenOffice installer which you get when you
> download the binaries from www.openoffice.org gives you the possibility to
> install without java support. Therefore, I suspect that certain features
> in OpenOffice are using java (else you wouldn't need it for the build),
> but that these are features that are being used very rarely, so it should
> work without.

As far as I looked in it, it seems to become more and more independend
from java. The compontent seem to communicate only over udk and api, and
the core components are in c++. I think we can hope, that it will build
without java and only some additional packages will need java to build
and/or work. (But I do not may hope, that they will work with free
java-compilers).

> Great (although I won't have the time to help any more, since I've got
> exams at the end of the month. Maybe after those...)

I think before we can look at the java-components, it might be over
half an year if it goes well or otherwise longer.

I'm currently trying to get the sal (System abstraction layer)
packaged using any means and bad tricks. (Including lines like
# Sorry Porters, but it is the most simple way for me:
CFLAGS +=   -DLINUX=1 -DGLIBC=2
in the Makefile.am) to get the basic system, so that idlc (the
idl-compiler of uno) and the uno/udk libs in same elementary form there,
so that work can go on, improving the packaging of the basics while
at the same time investiagting the main modules of openoffice to
see what we can do with all the forked libraries.

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link