autoconf version error?

Many projects lately have been requiring a dependency on autoconf of 2.5 or
higher.  Debian distributes a newer version than this but hides it behind a
wrapper script.  If you --version this wrapper script, it replies with the
old 2.13 version.  This is bad.  The projects are just looking at that and
failing.  I had to remove all the scripts and just symlink the autoconf2.50
and autoheader files to the script names and everything is fine.  I'm
guessing this is a script error on the offending projects side but i'm not
sure as a lot of projects have been giving this error.