Re: Need devfs help

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001 00:20, Svante Signell wrote:
> Compiling the latest kernel (2.4.7) I decided to enable devfs support
> and also start devfsd at boot. Most things seem to work fine except
> the sound card, the cdrom (both mounting and playing CDs) and cdrw,
> Accessing these one gets complaints of /dev files missing.

Create a file /etc/modutils/devfs-aliases containing:
alias /dev/dsp sound-device
alias /dev/mixer sound-device
alias /dev/midi sound-device

Where "sound-device" is replaced by your sound module, then run
update-modules.

I suggest that in future you ask such questions on debian-user and CC the
package maintainer (which means me for devfsd).

There is an advantage of CCing the maintainer (apart from the fact that the
maintainer is most likely to know the correct answer).  The maintainer will
often have some plans for future changes and will give advice on how to avoid
future complications taking into account unannounced new features and the
results of testing new upstream betas.