Re: rdp-client package

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 02:18:04PM +1000, Sam Johnston wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm the maintainer of rdesktop (being my first package) which is a
> Microsoft Terminal Server client (more specifically an RDP/Remote Desktop
> Protocol client). Anyway, there's now another RDP client which I also plan
> to package up called rwin... it's based on rdesktop-1.0.0 with patches

Sam,

'virtual packages' aren't always necessary. Particularly if you can convince
the maintainers of other, similiar, packages to follow some private
Conflicts: scheme.

In this case you'll need to convince yourself as maintainer of both packages
that this is the right thing to do. However from what you have said although
both packages provide a facility (rdp-client) they don't conflict in program
namespace (rdesktop versus rwin).

Why not let them both be installed?

> So, how do I go about it? Do I need to register the name with anyone or is
> posting here sufficient? Should I use the 'technically correct' name
> 'rdp-client' or something more obvious like 'tsclient' or, probably better
> yet, 'terminal-server-client'.

Unless you know of some other program / package that depends upon either of
these programs I can't see the need for virtual packages.

> Remember this is an excellent marketing
> gadget for us as it allows users to have a single windows terminal server
> for MS Lookout (aka borgmail) and debian boxes on the desktop, so
> terminal-server-client is good for users, rdp-client good for us geeks.

Nobody but us chickens here anyway ...

Anand